Turn Your Pool Table into Awesome Ping-Pong Table within Seconds
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Top 6 Table Tennis Conversion Tops on the Market – 2018 Reviews
- 2.1 1. Martin Kilpatrick Conversion Table Tennis Top for Pool Table
- 2.2 2. STIGA Duo Table Tennis Conversion Top
- 2.3 3. JOOLA Conversion Table Tennis Top with Foam Backing and Net Set
- 2.4 4. Viper Portable Table Tennis Top
- 2.5 5. PureX Table Tennis Conversion Top with Accessory Kit
- 2.6 6. Harvil Table Tennis Conversion Top
- 3 Popular Types of Conversion Tops You Can Choose
- 4 Things to Consider When buying Table Tennis Conversion Tops
- 5 Overall
Do you have a pool table?
Would you like to have a table tennis table as well?
Do you lack space to have both?
Well, that sounds like a problem.
Don’t worry; we have the perfect solution for your – table tennis conversion tops.
Ping-pong conversion tops will turn your pool table into ping-pong playing field within seconds. All you need is a friend to help you set it up, two paddles, a ball and the game can start.
Whether you just want to have fun on the weekends with your family, make your house parties more exciting or start training ping pong, conversion top will serve you right.
Learning how to play table tennis for beginners is easy when you have the right instructions and adequate equipment.
This video will help you learn ping-pong basics, and your new conversion top will save you hundreds of bucks you would spend on a regular table tennis table. Now, everything you need is just the racket and some ping-pong balls.
However, you are probably still wondering where to find the best table tennis conversion top and how to pick the right one for yourself.
How much money should you spend?
What to look for?
Wonder no more, we are here to help you.
Let’s get straight to the best table tennis conversion tops on the market!
Top 6 Table Tennis Conversion Tops on the Market – 2018 Reviews
1. Martin Kilpatrick Conversion Table Tennis Top for Pool Table
Martin Kilpatrick Conversion Table Tennis Top is made in Germany, so you can be sure you are getting a high-quality product for the money invested in this purchase. Aside from solid construction and exceptional durability, its dovetail connecting system provides the best alignment possible. You will feel as if you were playing on a tournament grade ping pong table.
The top is made of two separate pieces that are easy to set up, but you’ll need a friend to help you out because the parts are a bit heavy. You will get the net and post set too, along with foam protection pads that will save your pool table from potential scratches.
- 3/4″ thick top
- Weight: 132 pounds
- Dimensions: 108 x 60 x 2.2”
- It comes in three different colors: grey, blue and green.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Dovetail connecting system is here to prevent table separation and provide stability.
- Excellent workmanship, solid construction and perfectly aligned.
- Pieces of the table fit perfectly because of the interlocking bracket.
- The installation of the net is a breeze.
- It allows a great bounce.
- A 3-year warranty is a significant advantage.
- It’s a bit heavy, so you’ll need two people to set it up.
- It doesn’t come with too much protective foam padding.
- The quality of the net is not the best.
- Some screws might fall out of the table.
What we really liked about Martin Kilpatrick Conversion Table Tennis Top is the surprising quality of the table. The ball bounces off of the surface very nicely, just like it would on any other professional grade ping-pong table out there. However, our recommendation is to use the pool table cover before placing this conversion top on it, as the foaming pads are not as thick as expected.
2. STIGA Duo Table Tennis Conversion Top
STIGA is one of the most famous brands in table tennis industry, so you won’t make a mistake if you decide to go with their Duo Table Tennis Conversion Top. It will fit both 7-foot and 8-foot pool tables and even some air hockey tables too. Side stripes, 30” center-mounted steel stiffeners, and sponge rubber strips are here to protect the rail and hold the top firmly in place, once it is installed.
However, you should keep in mind that this set doesn’t include net and posts, which means you will have to purchase them separately. Also, the surface might bend a bit toward the edges, but this shouldn’t affect your game at all.
- ½” thick top
- Weight: 110 pounds
- Dimensions: 108 x 60 x 30”
- It has sponge rubber strips for protection.
- Net and posts are sold separately.
- It offers excellent bouncing capability.
- The top is heavy, well made and doesn’t warp.
- It is super easy to install.
- The protective foam pads are large enough and create sufficient friction to prevent any damages.
- Once it is installed, it’s a bit complicated to keep it in place.
- It doesn’t come with net and posts.
- The rigidity attachment in the center prevents connecting the two halves of the top tight against each other, which leaves you with a 5-7 mm gap.
- The surface bends a bit towards edges.
What we liked about this table is how simple the assembly was. It was up and ready for the first game within minutes. At the same time, its sturdiness and weight were admirable. The ball bounced quite nicely as well.
If you would like to have some fun with your family, but you don’t have enough place for both pool, and ping pong table STIGA Table Tennis Conversion Top will solve all of your problems.
3. JOOLA Conversion Table Tennis Top with Foam Backing and Net Set
If you liked the idea of having a ping pong table top from one of the most prestige brands in table tennis industry, you should consider buying JOOLA Conversion Table Tennis Top. With standard 15 millimeters of thickness, JOOLA’s top fits all pool tables up to 8 feet in length. If you decide to go with this model, you’ll be getting dark grey, durable, well-made table top plus JOOLA’s net and post set.
Have in mind that this conversion table comes with full EVA foam backing, which means it will stay in place and your pool table will be well-protected underneath it at the same time.
- 15 mm thick top
- Weight: 115 pounds
- Dimensions: 108 x 60 x 0.6”
- Full EVA foam padding for protection
- It comes with a net and post set.
- It comes in beautiful, deep, charcoal-grey color.
- The conversion top has two metal braces with wing-nut screws that hold the pieces together and line them up.
- The entire underside of the table is covered with foam with a non-slip texture.
- The construction and durability are amazing.
- The net might start coming loose after some time.
- The posts might damage the surface of the table.
- The surface is not easy to clean.
What we liked about JOOLA’s conversion top is the fact that it has sturdy metal braces with wing-nut screws that keep the two pieced lined up. This improves the quality of the play. Also, the full EVA foam padding is a great addition, superior in comparison to all other conversion tops in this group. With JOOLA’s conversion top, there is no need to worry.
Click here, if you’d like to buy JOOLA Conversion Table Tennis Top with Foam Backing and Net Set and find out more about the price and product details.
4. Viper Portable Table Tennis Top
If you are looking for an affordable table tennis top, made strictly for fun and not serious training or competition, Viper’s model will serve you right. This table tennis top has medium density fiberboard core, and it doesn’t meet the regulation size, which is something you should be aware of. However, trifold assemble makes it portable, simple to install and store wherever you want.
In comparison to other models from this group, you can set Viper’s top on the traditional dining room and pool tables, kitchen islands, table saw platforms and so on. Also, if you want to play a game of chess, backgammon or checkers, all you need to do is turn this table tennis top!
- 1/4” thick top
- Weight: 42 pounds
- Dimensions: 30 x 16.2 x 4.6”
- Works as chess, backgammon and pool table.
- Includes two paddles and table tennis balls, a net and post set and a carrying case with a side pocket.
- It is affordable.
- It has checkers and backgammon on the other side.
- The top folds up nicely, and it can be stored in a closet easily.
- A single player can prop up one side of the table to play against the board.
- It comes with two paddles, tennis balls and carrying case.
- The table is not regulation size.
- The net that comes with the table is flimsy.
- The net posts might damage the wood and chip off the paint.
- It is not the sturdiest model on the market, warps easily.
- The hinges might scratch your pool table if you don’t set up some thick material underneath it.
What we liked about this conversion top so much is how versatile and affordable it is. Also, the fact you can store it or use it to play table tennis by yourself is a huge advantage.
If you’d like to get this Viper’s multifunctional ping pong conversion top, click here.
5. PureX Table Tennis Conversion Top with Accessory Kit
If you are willing to pay an extra few bucks for a high-quality table tennis conversion top that comes with a 1-year warranty- PureX tables are a solid choice. Its all-black playing surface, has a scratch resistant finish, so even if you are a beginner who hits the table with a paddle once in a while, you don’t have to worry. This regulation size table has heavy-duty foam backing to prevent it from slipping and protect your pool table underneath from getting scratched.
It might be a bit expensive type of fun, but if you plan on playing regularly, it is a good investment. In addition, the kit comes with the net and posts system, complete with competition clamp, two ping-pong paddles, and three balls.
- 15 mm thick top
- Weight: 115 pounds
- Dimensions: 108 x 60 x 0.6”
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
- The set includes competition clamp, net and posts system, two paddles, three table tennis balls, and two foam support blocks.
- It’s sturdy and has an excellent black finish.
- The installation is straight-forward and done within minutes.
- The protective barrier for the table serves its purpose.
- The clamp system is excellent; it doesn’t damage the table.
- It is easy to lift and move on and off the pool table.
- The ping pong balls that come with the table feel a bit soft.
- It is relatively heavy but still moves slightly with bumps.
- If the supporting table is too thick, the net clips won’t hold.
- It’s a bit expensive.
What we liked about PureX Table Tennis Conversion Top is its sturdy construction, super easy installation and the fact that even though its heavy, you can still move it around with ease. A one-year warranty is just a bonus!
If you are interested in this product, click on this link and buy it today!
6. Harvil Table Tennis Conversion Top
If you are looking for a heavy-duty, regulation size, table tennis conversion top, but you would like it to be a bit more lightweight than the other models in this group, Harvil’s ping pong top might be the best choice for you. It is constructed of dense fiber wood and has eight soft, thick EVA foam padding on the underside. This means your pool table will be well-protected from all potential scratches or marring.
Harvil’s table tennis conversion top comes with net and post set and clear assembly instructions, which means it will be up and running in no time. This product is designed and engineered in the USA, but some parts are manufactured in Asia. As a bonus, you will get a 90-day warranty, and if you are not satisfied with your purchase, Harvil will give you your money back.
- 15 mm thick top
- Weight: 101.38 pounds
- Dimensions: 108 x 60 x 0.6
- It comes with a 90-day warranty.
- Eight soft and flexible 3.94-inch EVA foam paddings are included.
- It comes with a high-quality net.
- A 90-day warranty is a great addition.
- Protective EVA paddings do an excellent job.
- It’s sturdy, well-made and well-painted.
- The setup is a straight-forward two-person job.
- It might sag over time.
- The protective side foams might start to peel off after extensive use.
- It is a bit overpriced.
What we really liked about Harvil Table Tennis Conversion Top is the quality of the construction, which speaks for itself. Foam paddings and 90-day warranty are the real deal sealer. Also, the net that comes with the conversion top is surprisingly good, which is a rare feature you’ll see in pool table conversion tops.
Popular Types of Conversion Tops You Can Choose
Once you start searching for the ideal table tennis conversion top for your home, you will realize there are various options available on the market. There are a few different groups that differ in built, size and the type of table they fit.
Here’s the list of the most common types you will come across:
Pool Table Ping Pong Conversion Top
If you have a game room and you are the type of person who prefers indoor activities, ping pong pool table combo will suit all of your needs.
These conversion tops are placed atop your billiard or snooker table and serve as a perfect table tennis playing surface for temporary use. Most commonly, they come with a thick foam backing, so they don’t leave any scratches or marks on your precious pool table, and their connectors are wrapped in protective layers for the same reason.
So, if you don’t use your pool table as much as you planned or you’d just like to introduce a new, fun activity to your everyday life, ping pong conversion top is something you should definitely consider buying.
Dining Table Ping Pong Conversion Top
Don’t worry; you don’t have to own a pool table in order to turn it into ping-pong playing field, your dining table will be more than enough.
If you choose this type of conversion top, you’ll be using your dining table as the base that goes underneath the ping pong top.
These conversion tops are somewhat less popular as they don’t meet the regulation size, but they are still a good source of fun. They are the best option for people who don’t have much space in their house.
The assembly is quite simple, and just like pool table conversion tops, models from this group have the protective padding to prevent any damage to your dining table. With dining table conversion tops, you won’t need as much storage space and your kids will love it!
Floating Table Tennis Table
Floating ping-pong tables are not exactly made for serious training sessions or competition, but they are entertaining! If you love both indoor and outdoor games and you feel like swimming pool is your natural habitat, this is the best choice for you!
Floating ping-pong tables have a soft surface on the lower side and a hard surface on the top, which allows the table tennis ball to properly bounce. These tables are made for recreation purpose, and the original idea is that you can use them over water, as they will float.
Reversible Conversion Tops
If the Viper’s model is your favorite one among the tops we presented, because it serves as a ping pong table but also allows you to play checkers, chess and backgammon, you’ll be thrilled to hear about reversible conversion tops.
They are here to extend your playing area and suit your various needs. These versatile tops make an instant dining table, ping pong table and a gaming surface for cards, checkers, and more.
Things to Consider When buying Table Tennis Conversion Tops
Deciding on the best table tennis conversion top is not an easy job. Just like buying the ping pong paddle, ping pong ball or ping pong table this is a big step for a table tennis player, and there are specific features you should consider.
Here’s what you should pay attention to:
The most important feature of a high-quality ping-pong conversion top is its thickness. If you want to have the experience as close as possible to play on an actual table tennis table, you should go with ¾ inch thick tops.
However, you should be aware that they are going to be pretty bulky and the installation will take at least two people.
If you want your table tennis conversion top to last, you’ll have to make sure it is made of high-quality materials. The playing surface shouldn’t warp, and the paint shouldn’t chip.
Also, the conversion tops should come with thick, adhesive, protective EVA foam paddings underneath it. If there are additional foam pads as well, that is a bonus.
Are you buying this conversion table just for fun, or you’d like actually to train on it? How much space do you have in your home?
Once you answer these questions, you’ll know what to look for regarding the size of your future conversion top.
Ping-pong tops that are the regulation size (108 x 60 inches) are quite large and usually a bit pricey. However, they offer you a true ping-pong experience.
On the other hand, the casual activity does not require such large table tennis tables. If you are only looking for some fun with your family, a smaller conversion top will do just fine.
As we’ve mentioned earlier, ping pong conversion tops can be large and heavy. Also, they can’t stay atop of your pool table forever, which means you’ll have to store them somewhere in your house.
Make sure that the conversion top you are buying is easy to assemble and foldable.
Some of the pool table conversion tops come with posts and net, ping pong balls and even paddles. Some of them have a convenient casing for secure storage and so on. This is always a plus, but it usually costs a few more bucks.
If you want top-notch quality, excellent customer service, and a warranty, you should go with well-known, reliable brands from table tennis industry. When it comes to pool table conversion tops, some of the most famous and noteworthy brands that make heavy-duty products are Martin Kilpatrick, JOOLA, Stiga, PureX, Harvil, and Viper.
The price of the table tennis conversion top matters. It shouldn’t be your main criteria to base your final decision on, but it has to be taken into account.
A regulation size ping pong conversion top costs around $250-$350. However, there are some models available at a much higher price ($500 and above), but there is no need for you to pay that much if you just want to have fun to play table tennis with friends and family.
It is time to make our final decision and declare the winner.
The table tennis pool table conversion top that we liked the best is – Martin Kilpatrick Conversion Table Tennis Top.
Martin Kilpatrick’s model has all of the necessary features we’ve talked about – it is made of high-quality materials, it comes with a three-year warranty and excellent net and posts, it is 19 mm thick and regulation size, and at last its price falls somewhere in the acceptable price range.
We hope you’ll find this table tennis conversion top guide helpful and you’ll find the perfect top for you and your family. If you have any additional questions or an opinion you would like to share with us, feel free to leave us a comment.
Don’t overthink this purchase, buy the conversion top you like and have fun!